Tuesday 19 June 2012

How many calories do You burn in a day??

As some of you may have seen on our Performance Fitness facebook page, I wore my heart rate monitor from 9am yesterday to 9:20pm and burned 1920calories. This was based in my age, height, weight and heart rate continuously through that 12+hr period.
Before I did this I used a Basil Metabolic Rate calculator and figured out the calculation for me and it was approx. 2200calories/day, since I was up at 5:45am but didn't start the monitor till 9am, I know I burned 350-400 calories more than that. This is a really helpful tool on a journey for weight loss and just one piece of the puzzle to figure out the calorie requirement you have specifically, not the "average person of you weight". Then we can look at the activity and food intake to then get the weights coming off.
Here is the BMR (basil metabolic rate) calculator I used
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Step #1
You enter in your weight, height and age then it will give you your BMR
For Example:
I am a 5ft 6.5inch tall, 142lb, 32yr old female
My BMR is 1434.85
This means, my body requires 1434 calories to just be alive. If all I did was lay in bed, dead still my body would still burn that many calories.

Step #2
NOW, the next calculation is based on your lifestyle and how active you are to get your Daily Calories Needs;
  • If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
  • If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
  • If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
  • If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
  • If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
So for me I chose moderately active so it looks like this;
BMR: 1434 x 1.55= 2222.7 is what my body burns in a day

To lose 1lb you need to burn off or eat less to total 3500calories! So if you ate 250calories less/day and did enough activity to burn off 250 more/day, you would lose 1lb in a week. 250 calories less to eat isn't much if you like sugars or processed foods, cut out ice cream at night or the burger and fries at lunch and bring it with you and you'll cut out MUCH more than that! Also in a good 1hr workout, most women can burn 300-450 calories easily and men 550-700 for sure. It really comes down to being aware of your activity and get moving throughout the day and being conscious of what is going in your mouth. If you can keep a food diary you will get off to a GREAT start, who wants to write down the bad stuff we ate, that means we're admitting we ate it!
You can do this people! Calculate your BMR then find out your bodies Daily Caloric Needs and lets shed a few pounds!!
If you ever have any questions contact me at paula.performancefitness@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment